Buying for Mums can be tricky, especially for the lady who has everything. My mum is now 80 and really has everything she needs so it comes down to something thoughtful that will give pleasure and will not harm the planet. One of her favourite gifts to receive is a candle which up until recently I would have bought purely for its scent naive to the fact that most candles are made from paraffin wax, are synthetically fragranced and basically are not that great for our health. Both the wax and fragrance invariably are made from petrochemicals. If I walk in to a room with a paraffin wax candle burning I can immediately smell it – it is fumey, giving off toxins, carcinogens and pollutants and I find it a complete turn off.
Candles made from soy (non genetically modified) and beeswax are altogether more delicate on the senses. Those with added essential oils smell more natural – the ‘cold throw’ the fragrance you get when you lift the candle to smell it and the ‘hot throw’ when the candle is burning are subtle and not overpowering unlike their synthetic counterparts. They are both from renewable sources unlike paraffin wax. Paraffin wax burns quickly and so natural candles although they may cost you more will certainly last you longer.
Two of my favourites are:-
1. Natural Living by Goldrick
Made with 100% natural ingredients they are the perfect gift.
2. The Botanical Candle Co.
The Botanical Candle Co. use soy wax as a base for their hand made candles and they have the most wonderful range. My favourite is the sweet orange and geranium. They have some wonderful Christmas inspired scents in jars along with some beautiful vintage candles in containers. Their shop in Shaftesbury is just beautiful – worth a trip!
Burning candles is a pleasure for the senses but it is always better to ‘be safe, rather than sorry’. The Botanical Candle Company illustrate this perfectly below
Ensuring the safe and proper use of our candles is our number one priority and we advise you follow the below steps.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended
- Never burn a candle for longer than 4 hours at a time
- Burn candle out of reach of children and pets
- Always leave at least 10cm between burning candles
- Do not burn candles on or near anything that can catch fire
- Do not place candles in a draught
- Trim wick to about 5mm before lighting
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down. We recommend leaving 5mm of wax in the container
- Always snuff out the candle. Do not blow out
- Keep the wax pool clear and clear of matches and other debris to avoid flaring
You can find safety instructions on the base of all of our candles and if you’re ever unsure please do get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.
Happy Candle Shopping!
Credit: Natural Living by Goldrick & The Botanical Candle Co.